View Single Post
Old 07-13-16, 02:56 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
If had to do a 100k ride in the hills starting on an empty stomach, I would just die (a couple of my regular rides are just that, about 100 km with around 1000-1200 meters climbing). I always have a good breakfast before a ride, usually grapefruit or orange juice, a cappuccino, rustic bread toast or multi-grain cereal, home-made apple sauce, and yogurt. Just enough fuel to get going without feeling heavy and bloated. Depending on the length of the ride, I will stop for a sandwich, or have a granola bar or two and some nuts to tide me over 'till I get home. And there's always Gatorade in at least one water bottle.

Last Friday I did a (relatively flat) century, and I brought a small backpack with a bottle of orange juice, two apples, 4 bags of cashews, and a salami sandwich, plus I started out with two bottles of Gatorade on the bike, and replenished one with water along the way after I emptied it.

I have Type II diabetes treated with metformin, and I don't know if it's related or not but riding fasted does weird things to me, and I feel weak and wobbly on the bike.

It seems to me that hydration, nutrition and electrolytes are all necessary on a challenging ride.