View Single Post
Old 07-13-16, 04:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
While that is why I started this thread and shared my concerns with the members here, as you can see.... not all agree.

You raise some points worth looking into because I do not want that to happen again. Just remember what I have posted so far...... all the pre-ride coffee, going out fasted, etc is part of my normal routine and has nver been an issue for me since I've started cycling 11 months ago.

So I am looking for something unusual but it looks to me like neuromuscular fatigue more than hydration or electrolyte but quite possibly all of the above. Thought maybe others here had similar situations and a way of dealing with it.

Ah! Newbie...at least relative newbie

The first thing to realize is that just because it's your "normal" routine, doesn't mean that you respond to it the same way every time. You aren't a robot. What works today doesn't necessarily mean that it will work the same way tomorrow. It will probably be similar but there are no guarantees. Experiment a bit with changing your routine, especially since you seem to have some post ride cramping. Instead of only a beer after riding, try an electrolyte drink before (or after the beer). I'd probably cut down on the potassium supplement too. "Salt pills"...and potassium is a type of salt...are way out of favor for pre-, post- or during activity. It's easy to over do it.

I would also say...based on your last post...that you have done some muscle tissue damage as well. I've found that is normal on thigh cramps. Your thigh muscles are large and have a lot of power in them. When the cramp, they pull hard and it's easy to strain them. Take it easy and ride flat stuff in a low gear for a few days. You want to spin with light pressure on the pedals so as to give yourself some time to recover.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!