View Single Post
Old 07-13-16, 05:48 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/cell-phone-use-texting Noticed driving not operating is the word used???

Different guidelines for Commercial drivers. Distracted Driving, Talking & Texting
That's interesting as I know many who were ticketed for texting a stop light, or talking on the phone. I noticed a lot of old dates and wonder if it is possible that the info is out of date? I also wonder if DMV and the law books the police use differ because I did not see things like "sections" of the law on the DMV link. That makes me thing the language might be different and misleading. I really can't explain what I don't know, I was never cited for this offense. NYS uses weird language and in something like a drunk sleeping in his car in a parking lot, if he is in possession of the keys, he is deemed "in control of his vehicle" and can be charged.

Some people just pull over along a major highway and take their calls. I believe that if the car is running, it's illegal but I am not sure. What I do know if driving along a highway and trying to merge at speed is probably more dangerous than talking while driving. Texting is more dangerous that talking, but now many phones have talk to type features.

Either way, I don't do it, the calls can wait and texting is not something I do often

Last edited by NYMXer; 07-13-16 at 05:53 PM.