Old 12-06-05, 02:51 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritehsedad
SELF Magazine Dec 2005 issue (wife's mag) has an article entitled, "Arrive Alive". Pg 144 discusses cell phone use in cars. A couple excerpts:

"Hands-free technology does little to improve safety odds because it's the conversation, not the equipment, that distracts you. Chatting on the phone actually suppresses the type of brain activity needed to deal with traffic. In fact, one study has shown that a driver talking on a cell phone is as impaired as one with a 0.08 blood-alcohol level, ..."

"At least 25 percent of all police-reported accidents are due to in-car distractions,..."

"The bottom line: Keep your eyes on the road and your mind in the moment."

Good advice.
I believe that is true, but not the whole truth. Yes, someone that is distracted at all is driving impared. But, someone that is involved is an activity that takes one hand off of the wheel and is looking at something other then the road is severly impared. Most of the time when you see some swerving or beaing really stupid, they are actually DIALING the phone (which includes text messaging). This is as bad as reading while driving. Which I have also seen.

A voice activated hands free system is not perfect, but I think it is a reasonable alternative.

Signed.