View Single Post
Old 07-14-16, 09:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5823 Post(s)
Liked 2,656 Times in 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
thanks for that heads up, I will make sure the width of the rims on my new used bike is ok with this in mind. I think realistically the narrowest tires ever going on these rims would be 26x1.5in , and the bike came with 2.5 mtn bike tires on it, so rim width probably isnt an issue, but will look into it.
I suspect that you didn't get my point. Tire width isn't the issue, it's the gap between the beads inside the rim that I'm concerned about. In fact, wider tires may work against you because they usually have thicker walls (all things being equal) and thicker beads.

This is simple math. Take a caliper and gauge the thickness of the dead area. Double that and subtract from the rim inside width to get the width of the gap. You need it to be wider than the valve diameter with some room to spare.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.