Thread: Need to Vent
View Single Post
Old 07-14-16, 10:03 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I sometimes feel like a fixed target though, stopped in line between cars so I can sympathize with that part. Beside the line, even next to the gap between cars, feels much more protected from rear end collisions.
Quite often I'm the first in line at a light, or 1-2 cars back. I watch for approaching cars from behind in my helmet mirror. I can see that the car is slowing, and I turn back and look directly at the driver as they approach, and further verify that they are aware of me and stopping. While we're stopped I then keep watch on the car sitting behind me to ensure that they're not inching forward prematurely. I don't really feel like a target. I'm much more comfortable being traffic than trying to go in between traffic.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You know, this is a pet peeve of mine. Why do I have to announce my presence to every nitwit who is not paying attention to anything they are doing? If I do call out, it is only for my safety as I don't care if the nitwit falls into an open manhole.

Insisting that I call out before a pass is an ADMISSION of GUILT that THEY are likely to do something boneheaded and without any warning.

BTW...I use a helmet-mounted cycling mirror. No need to call out. When someone suggests I call out, I suggest they pay attention.
Had a guy recently pass me on an arterial road on my right side while I was lane center, riding near the gutter, with no calling out his intentions to pass. I consider him to have been riding like an arse.