carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Thank you so much!
I should visit his shop few more times and decide what geometry wil fit my body.
And I will use AutoCAD to find my fork rake and heattube angle.

I have two more questions.
1) If I had one choice what should I choose.
74 degree ht with road fork vs. 72degree with 30mm(or 35) fork rake
2) Do I want the frame to be super stiff(it makes the frame brittle) or do I want little flex on the BB

I think I will be using this frame for next 10 years. So I want to make the frame perfect or close to perfect
The reason I suggested LOOK is because they have a lot of experience and they publish their geometries. When in doubt, do what people who have more experience than you do. You may not understand why immediately, but chances are, they did those things for good reasons.

I don't understand what the builder means by brittle. The only way anyone is going to break a steel frame is in a wreck.

Maybe this is a language translation issue. Maybe he (or you) are trying to say "harsh". Stiff frames can be very harsh on bumpy tracks. You can adjust your comfort with tire pressure, saddles, carbon forks, carbon seatposts, and carbon bars.

Ideally, you don't want any flex.

But, understand that you are smaller than most, so you won't need the same stiffness as a Jason Kenny. So, stiffness is relative to the rider's size, weight, and strength.

You just need a bike that is stiff enough for YOU.

This probably won't be your last bike. You may design it and keep it for years, but you will buy more

The best-designed bikes are the ones that are designed after you ride several and develop a style and preference. You probably won't get the geometry perfect this first time.

I've had 3 frames designed from scratch...and each one of them I would do something different. I would even change the latest one I had made. That's just how it is