View Single Post
Old 07-18-16, 07:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Just from the way the local drive, I'd bet that Boston is a bad place to ride.
Hey, I resemble that remark.

In response to this Living Car Free Forum, “What is it like where you are” (in Boston, if you can't guess).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter.So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here. Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner...through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park)…during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons

Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.
Boston gets its reputation from the narrow, busy, crazy-quilt roads downtown where most out-of-towners visit, not a great place to drive or cycle, and best traversed by foot or subway, and especially pleasant by foot.

Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you ...The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-18-16 at 07:18 AM.