View Single Post
Old 07-19-16, 04:24 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I have decades of experience with conventional tubulars since about 1970, and no direct experience with the tubular clinchers. I've owned one pair of Tufo tubeless tubulars, and they self-destructed within 200 miles (valve attachment issues).

As far as tubular clinchers, I've seen them off and on since sometime in the '80s but they were not Tufo or Barum (a Tufo brand back in the day). My local shops in Denver did not recommend them, so I didn't make the jump.

No, I have never owned a tubular clincher and I never said I did. I also never said I got them for free or could say where to get them free. I tried to indicate my opinion (based yes on having read threads) that I don't think they are worth paying for. You seem to have misinterpreted that opinion. If you bought 8 at whatever price, I wish you the best of luck. It will be good to see your actual experience - I hope it will change my opinion. But I would not have done it. I already have tubular tires and tubular wheels for them. And the experiences I can read on-line are not positive enough.

So far not all the actual experience communicated in this thread has been positive but I'll leave it to you to tally up the results. But as far as I recall that was true in similar discussions during my time here. My thing about the box of 50 was irony, yes, it was not true. Sometimes people do that to make a point.