View Single Post
Old 12-06-05, 08:48 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
Cyclaholic, thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you have two sets of wheels! Of course, how silly of me to not think of that And the second set are 36, at least some things have not changed! You will have to forgive me, I am very dated with my bike info. Here is my dated bike. An old Austro Daimler in 60cm. Model is AD-SLE. Frame made in Austria by Puch. Wish is had some braze on's, not even a water bottle I got the frame at a college bike auction back in '82. Collected parts here and there and tried to upgrade as better parts came along. Now, being a corporate stiff, I don't mix with the "used bike/unloved bike/stripped city bike" scene anymore. I just don't know where the old bikes go. Stores here don't sell used bikes. They just have new bikes starting at $1,000 and up.

Hubs are one piece Normandy high flange made in France both front and back. Rear derailure is Suntour VGT-Lux, front is the original Huret. Brakes are original Diacomp. Front rim was a cast off Avaya and rear is the only part I bought which is a Wobler 58 + box of spokes. Tank of a rim as I made it up 4x for touring. Can't convert to 700cm wheels so they stay 27"...remember those? Brooks sadle with a Campy post that came off a discarded bike that was run over by a car at college. Just put on cheap Shimano SPD mtb pedals which is the most money I have in the bike. It works. Based on input here I got a Cateye TL-ED1000 on the back and just picked up a Pyramid Power Beam for the front which is VERY visiable in blink mode. And some trimbrite tossed on for good measure. I just want to get back and forth for low cost, low risk. If I ever spend money on a nice bike it will be for weekend club rides like your Surly Long Haul Trucker. But having become addicted to other hobbies, I can see how it would be easty to have a quality commuter!

She works! And if someone steals her, I'd be bummed but not out much money.
If I had that bike, I'd consider replacing the stem and handlebar if they're as old as the bike, especially if you're 220 pounds. Aluminum fatigues and I'd hate to see you get hurt If it's a 22.0mm French fork, though, it may be tricky. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html#stem