View Single Post
Old 07-21-16, 08:21 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If people want to trade off increased hassle to save $20, that's fine, but my beef is with then jumping on the internet to kvetch and crab about how tubeless sucks and how complicated it is without accounting for how they half-assed it.
I agree with this. But I will say, I tried everything the correct way first. Orange seal tape the proper width for my rims. Orange Seal valves with the o-ring on the inside and outside. I even went around each rim twice with the tape. Everything held the first night and when I rode into work in the morning, things were fine until around mile 15 where both wheels went flat, leaving me stranded on the side of the road. After that, I couldn't get them to hold air at all. I even took sealant and went all the way around the outside of the rim. They'd hold air for about an hour and then go flat.

I gave up on tubeless and went back to my old tire/tubes. Only they were pretty worn and I ended up getting two flats that week. So I figured I'd give it one last shot. Took the Gorilla tape, wrapped the rim, didn't trim, threw the tire on and we're almost at a week of holding air. I top off a few psi in the morning and I'm good to go.

*shrug*

I guess we'll see how it goes. It could result in a horrible failure, or it might be fine. I will admit, I have been taking corners a bit slower this week but each day my confidence grows. I'm also getting used to the feel of the tires at lower psi. Right now it still feels really weird to have anything less than 90psi in the back tire. I'm around 75 up front. I tried 70/80 and I felt like I was riding through mud.