Old 07-21-16, 02:38 PM
Bronsen

Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Touring 14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locking your bike long term?

I'm fairly new to commuting by bike, and I just recently got a bike with quick release wheels instead of bolt on wheels that I'm used to.

Just curious how regular commuters lock their bikes up all day, and how you go without worrying? I use a U-lock, which from what I can tell is a moderately accepted convention, but I don't see how that can discourage thieves from taking your wheels. Do you use an extra lock around the wheels? Do you place your bikes by a security camera?

I don't have to worry that much about thieves in the area I'm in right now, but I may soon be working in DC which has me wondering how I can protect my bike as best as I can.

One more thing, when I was first commuting early on, I locked my bike from the front wheel, and I came out at the end of the day a few of my spokes were completely bent, like someone either knocked it over or tried to take it. Do you lock your bikes from the slots (don't know what else to call them) of the bike racks or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks