Old 07-22-16, 01:05 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
You are mistaken. The only commonality between a LHT and most steel MTBs is that they have two wheels.

The LHT and all proper touring frames in general have the following features which distinguish them from a seemingly similar MTB frame:
1. long chainstays to accommodate bags (45-47cm vs 42.5cm)
2. low BB to lower center of gravity, whereas MTBs have high BB to clear off-road obstacles
3. many tourers have a shortened TT to provide appropriate reach for drop bars, whereas MTBs have lengthened TT for flat bars - the difference in TT length to accommodate these respective handlebar types and still fit a given bicyclist is 5-7cm
4. tourers have long headtubes to yield higher bar height and a more upright posture to provide some back/neck relief in consideration of the much longer time tourists spend on their bike each day
5. tourers typically are made from larger diameter, thicker walled tubing to support loads of up to 300 lbs (bicyclist+gear); MTBs typically are intended to support weight of rider only
6. additionally tourers have adequate frame fittings for racks, fenders, pump, even lighting, whereas MTB frames rarely have any of these fittings (at least not in the last twenty years)

Please take time to learn about touring bikes and touring frames in general before you dispense more bad advice on the forum.
LOL .... I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker which I bought brand new

there is not much difference in the geometry of an old Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike and the Surly ....

I also have an old Bridgestone MB2 that is in very good condition and that I will be customising in the next few weeks

the Bridgestone is hand made with lugs, and is made from CroMo oversized tubing and unicrown front fork

the Bridgestone has a long chainstay

The Bridgestone has Araya RM-20 Wheels (Gold Label) which are very good

the top tube length is identical to the LHT

side by side, the 2 are almost identical in length and height

the Bridgestone is but one such mountain bike that is very similar to the Surly as regards geometry and construction, there are many more

the Surly has provision for spare spokes .... the Bridgestone does not

if you look at the price of a new Surly, versus a good old steel mountain bike, you are actually better off buying a good old mountain bike with good 26 inch wheels, having the frame resprayed, and getting all the accessories such as dynamo hub, dynamo lights, decent saddle, racks and panniers

and you will still have change left (enough to take your family on an overseas holiday) .....

when you buy a surly LHT, you get a skeleton with no extras and it has a **** saddle

a Surly LHT with no accessories costs approx £1200.00 here in the UK (approx $1570.00 USD)

here's a pic of my Bridgestone that I will be converting with fenders, front rack, drop bars, bar end shifters, dynamo hub and lights, Brooks Cambium C17 carved saddle, Ortlieb pannier bags etc etc

.... I paid £10 for the Bridgestone and it's in good condition:

here's a thread on this forum that will show you some good mountain bikes that have been converted (for cheap):

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...nversions.htmlhttp://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...nversions.html

Last edited by dim; 07-22-16 at 01:35 PM.