View Single Post
Old 07-22-16, 07:01 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I'll bite. I wouldn't buy it just on the basis of integrated dynamo lighting. That particular market is somewhat stagnant (certainly not advancing as fast as battery powered lights--how could it, so heavily regulated in Germany?), but I've still seen almost no production bike equipped as new with a light that I would feel comfortable riding on a dark street. Doubly so, since that bike can't have better optics installed (or more to the point, will the company care to provide such?).

Fenders are a deal killer to me; one could always mount 'clip on' fenders, but full coverage fenders, which all but one company's require mounting points, will always be a requirement for me.

A solidly connected rack, too, would be necessary. It could've even been integrated into the frame without sacrificing aesthetics (Civia Twin City, Giant Momentum, et. al.).

As a 'sport' bike? I personally ride a bike with Alfine 11 and drop bars, formerly with skinny tires, and it is not equivalent to a high-end derailleur equipped bike at all. Does it do some things better? Sure, but light weight and low drivetrain inertia is not one of them. The Di2 version of the hub is much less finicky than the cable operated version, but it is still not maintenance free--the hub needs to be drained/filled every 2 years/1500 miles at the minimum. Mine is opened up completely every other service. Low maintenance, sure. No maintenance, that's just dishonest.

On any 'sport' bike other than a bike for randonee-ing, the drag added by a dynamo hub would be intolerable. Combined with the added rotating mass of the rear hub would make a faster paced group ride an exercise in futility (or at least a better workout than anyone else would be getting).

To me, it doesn't seem like they know what market they're gunning for. No bicycle (now) has enough mass appeal/utility for you to sell only one model to everyone.