View Single Post
Old 07-23-16, 03:02 PM
Erik Stouffer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It depends on where you park the bike. Where I work I could probably get away with a cheap cable lock, but I actually use a U-lock around the seatstay inside the rear wheel. The front wheel is still free for the taking this way, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

In a less secure location, I'd probably get a locking skewer for the front wheel. Other options are a cable that connects to the U-lock and goes through the front wheel (not secure enough for city parking), removing the front wheel and putting the U-lock through both wheels (a major hassle), or using a second U-lock to lock the front wheel to the frame (a minor hassle). My view of security is that my solution has to be convenient for me, otherwise I'll get lazy and not do it.
Why do you say that running a cable from the u-lock to the front wheel is not secure for city parking? That's what I do but I'd be glad to do something better but can you actually get the rear of a bike locked to the post and the front. Posts are not wide they're skinny. Hope you can help!