Old 07-23-16, 08:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever given up on a climb before. I did today.

Started out at 97 degrees, felt like an oven. Had a plan for 43 miles or so, 3 big climbs. Getting to the first one I made a wrong turn and added 2.5 miles, including coming back uphill into a headwind to fix my mistake. I got to the climb, and holy **** it was steep. I don't have the fitness or the gearing for that. It averaged 10%, the lowest was like 8%, and the highest was 20% or something. I stopped once, took a break, started again, stopped again, just couldn't do it. Turns out looking at the map later, I was one switchback from the top maybe. Probably 100m. But I couldn't see it because of the trees, which is demoralizing. You get over a huge steep section, and around the corner is another, and you have no idea how many more there are. Riding a 39/25 on that at my fitness and weight doesn't work. I'm at 35 rpm just trying to turn the pedals and not fall over.

I turned around and went home. Little over 2 hours, 27 miles, 1300 feet. My power was atrocious. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast. I'm riding like I used to. I can't do that. I'm not in that shape.

My TSB is like -40. I think some time off is in order.