Old 07-24-16, 08:36 PM
whosmatt

Bikes: Windsor Clockwork, Nashbar Steel Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artfahie View Post
I know... basic... dumb question. I've been getting into the sport over the past two months AND as much as I remember standing on my pedals (as a kid) in my younger days (one-speed back then) I haven't the confidence to try it at this time... Of course, uphill is when you need the energy.... does absolutely everyone do this, or are there others of you that hold back as I do ? I will most likely get around to it... sometimes even the granny gears barely get me through some of these Maine hills.
I spent a lot of time out of the saddle as a kid, riding BMX bikes. As an adult rider on road bikes, what gives me confidence is being clipped or strapped in to the pedals. I have this fear of my foot slipping off the pedal while standing, and Powergrips on my SS bike and SPD clips on my cyclocross bike have taken that fear away and made me much more confident out of the saddle. I think that if you did it as a kid you'll find it comes naturally when you pick it back up. Know the saying "it's like riding a bicycle?" It really is.