Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
This was actually the reason for one of my questions. I find that it's easier to remain disciplined about producing above-FTP power if I do them on hills. However, the longest hill I have within 50 miles takes around 1 minute to climb. Thus, why I questioned if there's any value in 30s-1m intervals.
Sure there's value in them but not a heckuva lot unless you're trying to get really good at going up that one hill.
This kind of brings me to an additional question. I've heard guys who race talk about doing Z4 intervals before, and didn't think to question why at the time. My FTP is just a few bpm shy of entering Z5, and it seems most riders are in that same general area with their FTP. So, wouldn't Z4 intervals just be training your body to do what it's already capable of doing?
No, Z4 intervals get you better at holding that power for long periods and also increase the power you can hold. FTP is power you can hold for an hour. That's a long time. Just hitting your LTHR doesn't mean anything.
So, if you're in a predominantly flat area, short and hard intervals are the way to go? And by short, are you talking 1-2min, or 5-6?
No. Times and zones I mentioned before are appropriate for any terrain.

Is that 4 x 8min with 8 min rest?