View Single Post
Old 07-26-16, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,836 Posts
PepeM is hitting every pitch out of the park, today.

I woulsd recommend a CF bike to myself.And to any rider who wanted a lightweight frame which abosrbed a lot of road vibration ... and to anyone who thought they looked cool, for that matter.

Almost every road mile driven in a Ferrari or Lamborghini is done at a pace which could be achieved by a Ford Fiesta or a Honda Civic. Why do people buy Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis?

They Want to.

Face it, the hysteria over the supposedly "deadly' nature of CF is stupid and wholly unfounded.

As PepeM notes, as we choose to buy lighter parts, of any material, we are approaching the limits of durability/failure. (I have heard a lot that unless you race seriously, Ultegra is better than Dura-Acre because Dura-Ace is made for guys planing to replace much of the drivetrain every season or more frequently ... they are lighter but less durable.)

On the other hand, bikes built of CF, forks built of CF, CF seat posts, bars, stems ... have all been around a long, long time. So take off your tinfoil hats and face the fact that there is no world-wide industry-wide cover-up of the massive death toll attributable to CF parts. it simply isn't real.

As I said earlier, this exact same thread comes up every so often---aimed at Aluminum frames, because the "Steel is Real" crown points out that steel has a much longer service life and Al frames a Guaranteed to crack and break everywhere all the time.

It is hard to imagine that threads like these gain any traction at all ... and then I remember that I live in a country where Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton are deemed most fit to lead the nation.