View Single Post
Old 07-28-16, 01:34 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hey y'all,

My wife&I are getting more and more into mtn biking for our recreational riding. Our skills are improving as we get more miles in: picking our way up and down rocky/rutted hillsides without losing balance is something we are ok with now, but had a lot of trouble a few months ago.

However, there's one trail near where we live that has us completely beat. It's called Martha's Grove in Sycamore Canyon (here's a pov vid -- that's not me!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAJ6lcyFz_E The problem is that there's a whole bunch of like foot-high dropoffs, that land in pretty uneven ground where it's hard to not get the front wheel trapped in a rut or stuck on a rock. Plus with the sheer dropoff on the right side the whole way, and the wife crashing almost off the edge once, when we try to take them, we are too slow&cautious, end up nearly endoing.

I know we need to take them faster, to get the front wheel to touch down further from the step and get less pitch downwards, but I think we need to be able to work up to it.

Any ideas how to find other areas where we can practice step-downs of varying heights and work our way up?

Any ideas about exercises to improve technical skill generally also welcome...
I am form SD as well. One thing is to get up off the seat and get your weight back and as low as you can in a crouch position. A dropper post is super helpful or lower your seat post before big descents. Guide the bike with your body weight. you can practice drops on the ranch house crossing in pq canyon. The north side of the bridge has a drop off and you can practice several times with out going far. You need speed but you need to be under control as well which is often a fine line. Ride with a group and get tip sdmtba has rides all the time. there are a ton of videos you can google but riding behind someone that knows what they are doing is often the best teacher. Riding is the best exercise to gain skills. I would be willing to show you the trails in pq if you want I am an intermediate rider