View Single Post
Old 07-29-16, 10:37 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
As of 2016 I’m 69 years old.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I ride two bikes. An aluminum Bianchi cyclocross with carbon forks outfitted for commuting, day and event rides, long distance unsupported touring and of course off road riding. My other bike is a brand new, not been ridden yet, Dahon MU getting extensive revisions. I intend to use it for destination city exploring, touring both credit card and unsupported for a variety of distances and dirt riding. I am currently riding another 20 inch folder which will be given to the local bike co-op when the Dahon is road ready. I am hesitant to mention its name because the brand has an intensely loyal following under the Folding Bike section and I consider it a poorly designed piece of junk.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

I’ve been a heart patient for the last 20 years. I don’t talk about or list the meds and supplements I take online or go into any details of the procedures I’ve undergone. I will offer private advice to riders inquiring about riding with heart conditions similar to my own. I can say my cardiologist, who is an avid cyclist, told me that my riding is doing more good for my heart than any meds she can give me.

I will state that when taking long rides of any sort, I take Hammer Endurolytes capsules. It is by far the most effective electrolyte replacement of the dozens I tried.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I can ride for as long as when as I was a teenager, I just don’t go as far - not half as far.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Been biking since I was six years old and bicycling has been my principle means of transportation for most of my life with the notable exception of my junior and senior year in highschool when dating pretty much demanded a car.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

I do all types of riding from short hops with very overloaded panniers filled with the week’s groceries, commuting, wonderful day rides with my wife, event and charity rides, and as mentioned long distance unsupported touring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage

Daily. Ride in the range of 5000 to 7000 Km per year. Most of my tours range between 2000 to 2500 Km.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence