abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
I know I've posted this in utility...which if you're interested in selling your truck then I think posts could go either way. I may be new to this forum, but have lived car free for over 5 years now. Here is my old Worksman 1 speed adaptable and 2 different trailers. The one on the right is decked with rope netting, so it's strong and light. The orange one was great for the nephews until the floorboards got ruined. Behind is a Kona Lava Dome that my wife rides, and the high barred schwinn that I got from a neighbor.

If you really feel you would like to live car free...and are physically capable then do it. I have 2 metal hips, and I ride my trike almost every day. Go for it!
This is great! I had to drive my truck up to Brookings yesterday, just 21 miles, but I hadn't driven out of town for some time. I walk so many places both for exercise, and saving on gas. I also feel like a million bucks when I get out into the fresh air and go for it. One big reason to buy a bike is so I can go further, haul my groceries etc. and still get my exercise, more of it too.

I also realized how I'm attached to my little truck, and what a wonderful rig it's been for me. I've traveled the US in it 3 times, and it's just never let me down. It's getting old though, and starting to cost me money, lots of my savings goes to get new things, like I just spent 271 dollars for that top part of the gas tank (fuel neck??) that just got cracks in it from age. My truck is a 94 btw.

Anyway, it's a dream to let it go, get what I can for it, and have my bike. I don't want a real expensive bike though, I just don't want too inexpensive. Because being a woman, and having things go wrong on it, it's either hard to have a pro fix it at a shop, or find a friend to do it. I can learn to change a tire, tighten bolts, little things, maybe more. I was reading about that lastnight. But I don't want to buy "used" anymore. I had thought about it, but I want a warranty, and I've heard our man Tom at our local bikeshop is wonderful to his customers.

Time will tell on my going car-free, but I will tell you I don't feel as secure in my truck like I used to. It could be my age, it could be the age of the truck, or it could just be I don't need a car anymore. I will be able to save a bit, and maybe get another car someday, but I suspect I will be so adapted to cycling that I will be happy with what I have

Thanks everyone for your replies, enjoy this forum so much