abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Abby, you can do a lot with pretty inexpensive bikes, for example, second hand bikes. Plus you don't just have to work with the one-time cash you get from selling the truck, I assume you will also have ongoing savings on insurance and maintenance and gas, and in the money you might eventually have had to save and pay towards your next truck. We often discuss the economic benefits of biking here, and there is a pretty strong case that the biggest benefits accrue to people who manage to own one less motor vehicle thanks to biking, because of the ongoing savings. And then, of course, there is also the virtual cash value of all the healthy exercise and relief of stress you get by switching from driving to biking.
Should have multi-quoted cooker, as I was replying to you as well Yes, I'll be able to save more without my truck, it's a 94 and just normal deterioration going on. Things (some expensive things) wearing out. I'm tired of all my savings not going for car repair. 80 bucks an hour labor for a part that cost 2.00!! That's the clincher, a freezer plug!So anyway, since I'll never be an auto-mechanic, the trucks gotta go.

I do want a new bike for the reasons I mentioned in the other reply, so I'll stuff money in my mattress until it's about 400 ish (I can tell when it's a certain lumpiness) and go shopping.

I am anxious to read, and keep my eye on the "car-free" posts. Just to be part of making the air better is reason enough for me I bout gagged the other day when another, small truck went by with thick, white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Geez, I thought only the black stuff stunk