Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by fusilierdan
I'm planning a Century ride for the local bike club. We're looking to showcase the great riding in the county with a little bit of local history. The ride will be unsupported the first time around but we hope to get it to the point of supported rest areas and sag wagons in a few years.

So any advice on planning the route? I'm trying to avoid any out and backs, bigger intersections and turns that are at the bottom of a hill (there's a couple of those in the peliminary route). What else should I look for or avoid?

Thanks
I have planned several routes.

First, I pick an area where I know there are lots of secondary roads.
Second, I pick an area where there are towns every 50 km or so ... or more frequently if possible.
Third, I make note of any attractions or whatever I'd like to include.

Then I map it in Google Maps using the bicycle setting so that I can see the elevation.
Then I tweak it to make sure Google is using secondary roads (sometimes it doesn't), and to make sure there's little to no gravel (check Street View at key points all the way through), and to check the elevation options.

Then I ride it. Don't just trust Google Maps or whatever other mapping software you use. Driving it is not a bad idea ... to get a general overview. But it's better to ride it on the day of the week you intend to run the evening (i.e. Saturday or Sunday). Bring a friend, give your friend the proposed cue sheet and have your friend follow it. That way, your friend can point out confusing instructions.

A few things to keep in mind ...

The sun. Choose your travel direction wisely so that cyclists are not riding into the sun and so that the sun is not in the eyes of drivers. This is a safety thing. If you've got the sun coming up or setting and cyclists are riding into it, and drivers are blinded by it, they may not see the cyclists.

Turns. Try not to cross traffic if you can avoid it. Here in Australia, we ride on the left side of the road, so routes that turn left are good. Again, this is a safety thing.

Secondary roads are good ... or even smaller! But avoid gravel if possible. If you do have to make use of main roads, ensure that they've got shoulders ... or that you are on the main roads during quiet traffic time.

Railway tracks and bridges ... make note of these on the cue sheet. Especially if it might be frosty or wet, or if the bridges are wooden, or if they are at the bottom of a hill. I don't mind turns at the bottom of a hill, just as long as they are indicated clearly on the cue sheet so that I don't sail past them.

Towns. Or at the very least service stations or something so that the riders can pick up food and water at least a couple times along the way.

Wind and hills. You can include hills, but depending on the experience level of the riders, you may want to limit them. Aiming for a "1" ride would probably be good. What's a "1" ride? Well, I calculate the hilliness of a route using this formula: (metres/distance in metres)*100

So a "1" would be 1600 metres of climbing over 160 km (a century) ... (1600/160,000)*100 = 1. Anything much over that starts to become quite a challenge for less experienced riders.

And as for wind, a loop or a route that includes turns, rather than a straight out and back, breaks up the chance of a whole lot of daunting headwind.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Machka; 08-01-16 at 02:58 AM.