Old 08-01-16, 04:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
....Was the new chain sized correctly?
I assume it was. But anyway, I was having the problem with the old chain, too.

...is it actually making a noise when riding in that cog or is it just a rumbling through the pedals that you are feeling/hearing?
It's more of a rumbling through the pedals, which is why I suspected bad bearings in the pedals early on.

...With regard to going to a single up front your current middle chainring should be your ideal chainlne so a single should make no difference.
Yeah, I kind of figured that. But I can dream, can't I?

Things to consider...how worn are the chainrings, if the noise/rumble? feels like its coming from the rear is it time to overhaul the hub +freehub? then there is the front end..bb + chainline to consider since it only happens under load flex at the bb end and loading on the hub/freehub may provide an answer..good luck
The chainrings on the front end (I assume that's what you mean) are not really showing visible signs of wear. I changed the crankset a few years ago, too. And although the rear wheel is within two years old, I do notice that it's a little crunchy when spinning, as if the hub bearings have been eating sand. However, again, the problem only occurs in one or two gears, so I can't really imagine the hub causing this problem. The bottom bracket is a few years old now, but is not ticking or showing signs of wear.

Thanks for all these suggestions. It sounds like I am not the only one who is stumped by this.