View Single Post
Old 08-02-16, 07:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by fusilierdan
I'm planning a Century ride for the local bike club. We're looking to showcase the great riding in the county with a little bit of local history. The ride will be unsupported the first time around but we hope to get it to the point of supported rest areas and sag wagons in a few years.
Are you opening it to the general public and charging admission?

If there is an admission fee, then one might expect at least minimal support. No Drop, Sag Wagon, FOOD, WATER, after ride event.

On the other hand, it can be little more than a self-supported loop among friends. Just like you might do an ordinary Sunday group ride, just a bit longer.

If you could do a figure-8 ride, then you could cover both the coming and going with a single break spot, and it would be a convenient way to do a short loop + long loop ride. Then encourage the long loop riders to start a bit earlier to shorten the time that the break spot is covered for the return riders.

Either chalk or painted road markings are nice, but means someone has to do pre-ride support. Printed signs would have to be collected by the sweeper or sag wagon.

Thinking of sharp corners and descents. It isn't something I worry about a lot, although it may depend on how close the corner is to the bottom, and how steep the hill is. Give plenty of forewarning. A stop sign on a descent is just about as bad. Traffic lights on climbs can also be frustrating, but part of cycling.

3000m/9000ft sounds like a lot.

For me, a typical ride is probably about 200 ft per 10 miles. Maybe a bit more for a century ride. 5000 ft? Although most of my longer rides are moderately flat.