abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M
Yeah, I can relate. I sold my car a couple of years ago and have never missed driving. Frankly, I didn't like owning a car and the expense of paying for something I didn't like. I DO like cycling a lot. I take the bus and train nearly every day too. And I walk a lot.

As far as the day to day needs, it reminds me more of when I was young living the UK before moving to North America. My granny lived alone and never had a car. She walked uptown to get what she needed. When I shop, it's a bit like that old world culture. I shop frequently, often on my way home from work, and pick up what I need or feel like having for dinner. Two bags maximum or whatever fits in a backpack. I'd like to set something up with a rack just because I think it would be cool to haul something a tad bigger at times. Even then I'd still do frequent trips to get fresh produce and see people I've met from the incidental social aspect of loitering around in public more often.

If I'm buying something massive like furniture (which doesn't happen often) delivery is an option. There's mail order for the obscure bits that I'd have to use anyway. And for the odd night out where I miss the last bus service (I have a part time job at a bar) a taxi. I've had some fantastic late night world politics discussions with really cool people that way.
I love the whole idea of it, and I think I'm living somewhere that I can make the transition easily. I like/love doing my walks, and hikes as well. I already shop like you do, only I do it in my truck, and get more per time. But I like going more often than stocking up on a bunch of groceries. I just buy what I want for a day or two, then back to the store. And it does get me out more with people.

Especially since my truck is getting old, and every time I have a bit of money saved up for something, you guessed it, something goes haywire on the truck. Or the registration is due, blah blah blah. There is so much road-rage too, dog eat dog out there in traffic, I won't miss that either. I can ride a long ways without see many cars at all. This area is can get a lot of traffic, but I can avoid those times pretty much

And the best part, is the exercise, and just being outdoors. I only walked today, 6 miles, but I feel so great, and I know whenever I spend the day outdoors, it is so nice in my evenings, and I sleep great too