abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M
I had concerns the upkeep of my vehicle too. At some point, I'd need a service that would have bought me a pretty nice commuter. So, the decision was easy. And the road rage bit - it's so odd. I found that very, very stressful. Although I can see the advantage of having a car with the windows up around my scrawny body while some older guy is off the rails because I didn't move fast enough for him. That keeps me off the roads as much as possible.

But the exercise is certainly a plus. I have a rather severe anxiety disorder and exercise has helped immensely. There is quite a bit of evidence that exercise helps the mood as much as it benefits the body. Someone noted once the happiest they saw me was a two year period that was in college. I had no car or drivers license, and had a summer job as a bicycle mechanic that I did part time during school. I rode to work every day, was involved in local races, belonged to the shop mountain bike club, and my bicycle was my primary form of transportation. I don't think that was a coincidence.
Wonderful about your story during school. I think I will be making the decision much sooner, than later P_M. I do realize the last trip I made in my truck (just the 42 roundtrip) was really stressful. I've changed in lots of ways, but I did notice feeling like gripping the stearing wheel much tighter. I've alway driven defensively, watching "the other guys" "the BIG picture", and it's served me well. I've driven some of the most "crazy" freeways in the US (I think it was either San Antonio, or El Paso that topped them all But I was always up for the challenge, even "loved" it!!

I'm just not loving it anymore. But mostly I think, it's the truck needing more and more as it ages, and with my SS being my only income, it's just getting eatin away. I had decided to bike a long time before I thought of selling the truck though. It's just starting to make good sense to me now. And yes, I know that exercise, and being out there in the fresh air is so healthy for me I lost 24 lbs just walking, but I want to go further faster now I'm also hoping to meet others in my area to bike with, maybe be traveling up the Pacific Coast by next Spring