abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M
Well, keep in mind I have a rotten anxiety disorder, so that doesn't help with the stress. But, for me, the stress doesn't help it either. Some people might even consider my abandonment of driving as some sort of avoidance. But is has helped me deal with other stuff without the additional stress. It's pretty textbook stuff that stress makes anxiety worse, and vice versa. They are really good at feeding off each other.

Part of the appeal too was having money for other things. I manage to make payments on music equipment now instead of worrying about car repairs and maintenance.

I know LCF is not going to be for everybody. It just worked out to my advantage. I remember not long ago standing at the bus stop in winter. It was cold out. But I remember having time to think. That in itself reminded me of when I was a kid. I didn't rush around. I didn't worry as much. I noticed more things around me. It was a bit of an epiphany to realize what I had been missing without realizing it.

It sounds like you have some cool plans. And having cool plans makes things interesting.
I will have extra to spend on other things as well. Maybe a pros and cons list is in order, but I always make the lists fit what I really want so that doesn't work for me

Just thinking about the "little" things (and even little things can mean so much) I see when on a 6 mile walk that I would never be able to see when driving. That tells me when I am going out on a bike, I'm going to have to watch the path yes, but stopping will be easy, and I don't think I'd be all about getting from point A to B as fast as I can.

Someone mentioned about nerves in traffic, riding a bike. I do think of my Uncle who rode a lot of miles in his days of touring. He always mentioned "those sons a _____" cutting the corners into the bikelanes, "don't they realize another rider could be around that corner". Those things do concern me, but it won't stop me.

I need something to look forward to instead of just, growing older. There are a lot of people living in my area, retired, doing fine financially, but they don't do much of anything. When I am visiting amongst a few, one of the most popular thing to do is have another "organ rescitel". You know, when everyone shares which of their organs is giving them grief today.

I'm not saying I never complain about some weird ache or pain I never had before, but keeping busy, especially remaining forever adventurous does me good. I love nutrition & fitness, but I can't stand the regimented boring gyms. I feel that cycling will give me so much, that I can even let my vehicle go and never look back. There's just too many people well into their years that are still pedaling and even if they can't anymore, they have spent their later year "making more memories".

I was thinking the other day how I had really made any memories for awhile now. Last really good one was a camping trip I went out on my own and did Summer of 2015. I thought getting older doesn't have to mean I don't get to make any more memories

I know some of us are miles apart, but I so hope I get to meet some folks like the nice ones my age I've met here in such a short time denise