View Single Post
Old 08-06-16, 09:04 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
They both come in 6V3W. It's a mystery why anybody would still sell or want 2.4W.
You didn't figure your other brake's weight. I used 2.3/2.0 WH13 spokes. NO chance of failure.
I know I am almost alone using the drum brake, WTH. Millions of Dutch bike users can't be wrong, IMO. I have read of Surly hubs crapping out at mere 12,000 miles. I have already outlasted a pocketful of rim pads. I figure the drum brake is FREE with the dyno, already at 1/3 a SON hub.

My original tour worthy fork was said to be the strongest by the builder. I had my doubts from the start and sure enough it wobbled badly from the minute I loaded up and got on, in Saigon. It did have a lot of weight hanging on the front handlebar/ head tube. It snapped near the top, same each time. Just shows how beefy the drum brake is. SJS cycles has all the SA hub kinds and all parts. I got the new one at R+E cycles, Seattle.

They don't make an arm collar for a tandem fork though. I went DIY crazy and made my own and besides that wrapped a 3" CF band underneath. I've been too busy to try it out at full load, but I do day centuries at 68lbs anyway. Weight weenies need not apply, ha. I have no time for fiddling or worries away from home. I have 2 rear IGH wheels. They say disc rotors get frying hot in a hurry too. My hybrid has them.

I think my front wheel is 7.1 lbs with Marathon Plus 36c and the Rolhoff is 7.8 lbs. SA 5w about the same.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-06-16 at 09:22 PM.