Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
I have the specs of the Sturmey Archer non-drum dynamos on my spreadsheet and didn't look any further since they are 6v/2.4w when the standard seems to be 5v/3w. The Sturmey Archer HDS73.TBSS.AA2 however has the 70mm drum brake and 6v/3w dynamo rolled into one. I've also found it very cheap ($120).

My hesitation in changing my plan, however, are:
  1. There aren't many reviews of the hub.
  2. The weight is 1.2kg where the SP hub is .39kg (I'm no gram counter, but that's major).
  3. The one review that sticks out is the guy whose 90mm version torqued his fork.
I would love to hear more about your experiences.
I have a SA X-FDD (HDS73T w/70mm, 6.0V 3w) on my commuting bike. After 9,000 + miles, still working great. I did have to replace one of the cartridge bearings this year, though. It is heavier than other hubs but remember that your brake components will add some weight.

Do you have a reference for the fork torquing? Yes there is a reaction arm that attaches to the fork, but it is long enough so most forks should not have a problem. My 45 year old steel fork handles it fine. Disk brakes with their shorter torque arm, are more likely to mess up a fork.

Drum brakes are easy to modulate, reliable, long wearing, and great in wet conditions. Not very sporty but just the thing for utilitarian cycling.