View Single Post
Old 08-07-16, 07:42 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had Sturmey front drum/dyno and rear Shimano roller brake and converted to rim brakes this spring. I lost confidence in the front fork, under heavy braking a standard road fork flexes beyond my comfort level (it's moving back over an 1").

With the documentation of failed forks with front drum on the web I looked into buying a stronger front fork but the cost and weight penalty caused me to give it up.

I sold off the drum/roller wheelset (700C rims, SA dyno/drum and Nexus 8 speed IGH) and bought the Alfine 3W dyno hub at it's new price ($66) along with an Alfine 11 speed hub. Lighter weight, no fork worries, higher power and no out-of-pocket, it works for me.

The Sturmey dyno is rated at 3W and that's all it's good for. Some of the newer lights and USB charging dongles take advantage of the Shimano/SON/SP hub's ability to deliver as much as 6W~8W, the Sturmey dyno is unable to keep up.

When I changed to a dual pivot caliper brakeset and Shimano disc dyno I cut ~3lbs off my bike and I don't have to worry about my front fork.

Some day I might convert to discs on my upright bar commuter bike, in the meantime I'm using my older frame with disc ready hubs.

Last edited by Mr IGH; 08-07-16 at 07:47 AM.