View Single Post
Old 08-08-16, 02:13 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The OP's anti-training program and spirited defense thereof is kind of silly, but so are the BF denizens presuming to know more about his riding and fitness than he himself does.

For @69chevy: modern training methods haven't been pulled out of thin air, there is empirical research demonstrating the benefits of certain types of training programs. There are ways to do this that aren't A-B testing on identical twins. This doesn't mean you can't get fit with your current approach, even fit enough to race. I got into racing by simply riding a lot, and I was initially reasonably successful at the beginner level. Move up even a little and it gets harder, for sure. That may eventually require a different approach. It did for me.

To be honest, if you're doing these rides and hanging on much of the time, you might as well sign up for a local Cat 5 race and see how you do. That will be much more informative about how ready you are for racing. Even once I started, depending on the rides I went on I would be crushing the front, or dropped. It really depended on who showed up. Yet I was racing and hanging in on those races. These days I'm a better racer than I ever have been (still not too great, though), but I don't go on a lot of group rides. Anyway, I think you'll find racing a fair bit different from a fast group ride, in that it's easier to hang but harder to succeed, if that makes any sense.

As for everyone else, the defensiveness is amusing. If you know what you're doing works, who cares what some BF rando thinks? Keep on doing your thing.