View Single Post
Old 08-12-16, 03:26 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were to subscribe to one of these training plans that people are very passionate about, would I have to wear shoes, lycra shorts, and get an expensive bike? I don't like those options much better than I like structured training plans.

I'm trying to be a little silly btw, though there is some truth there. If you want to maximize your training than a structured plan makes sense. If you can't commit or are happy with where you're at then don't worry about it. That's the boat I am in. Heck it isn't impossible that what you are doing pretty closely mimics some plan out there.

Training plans, nutrition, equipment... it's all over the place. Sure there are some generalities but plenty of assumptions and misinformation too. For example everyone has talked about doing hard intervals to get better, but I don't think a single person has mentioned the opposite... going slower to get faster. Train your aerobic system. Allow your heart rate to get lower for the same amount of effort. There is extensive plans out there for this method that have supposedly done very well with many athletes. https://philmaffetone.com/want-speed-slow-down/

Despite what some forum members claim, there is more than one way to skin a cat, if you really need to skin it in the first place anyhow.