cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
...There is extensive plans out there for this method that have supposedly done very well with many athletes. https://philmaffetone.com/want-speed-slow-down/

Despite what some forum members claim, there is more than one way to skin a cat, if you really need to skin it in the first place anyhow.
yeah well, good luck with that...
the 180 formula - uh uh
"The 180 Formula
To find your maximum aerobic heart rate:
Subtract your age from 180 (180 – age).
Modify this number by selecting a category below..."

that would put me at 112 - LOL !
I mean, I fart and my HR is 112...
I don;t know nor like running - so it may, somehow, work for them.
But would never work for a competitive cyclist, unless like the saying goes... "how do you make a small fortune? start with a big one..."
I have because of health issues (not fitness related) been advised to 'slow' about 2+ yrs ago. Started riding more at the HR where we all know nothing happens 120-140. Guess what, something does happen , you get extremely slower on the bike...
In June I said "screw this" and started ramping up to where I can get my AT (LTHR) back up to a reasonable better level. Rides with the HR in the mid140s to high 150s. Guess what, I'm startin to get faster again and better aerobically and hangin with the younger riders more.

Yeah, you do the 180 program... do an honest benchmark test upfront and then do it again in 3 mos. report back...

cycling fast has been my pain in the ass since 1969 - I'm happy it again making me hurt a little... screw the other stuff