View Single Post
Old 08-13-16, 10:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5973 Post(s)
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
Super expensive material destroyed by a minor drop. Crazy.

I don't even want to ask how much it would cost to fix it.
there's no predicting what happens in crashes. Often the lowest speed crashes do the most damage. Personally, I've crashed bikes at speeds over 30mph without any serious injury, yet my worst crash (measured in healing time was at well below 10mph when I hit a gravity wave (solo crash, no car or road defect).

Likewise Deb, broke her pelvis in a zero energy fall when her front wheel slipped out on a sub 5mph turn. There was no other injury, not even road rash, and not a mark on the bike, yet despite excellent bone density the pelvis cracked -- go figure.

So, I agree it's sad, and feel very bad for the OP, but compost happens, and can happen to anybody riding anything at any time.

He might also consider that if a knee impact was a factor, the breaking frame absorbed large amounts of energy, and his knee might have done much worse otherwise.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.