View Single Post
Old 08-16-16, 05:25 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by whele
I guess it really depends upon how the ride is promoted and what sort of rider the organisation is wanting to attract. Whilst I definitely agree a designated route is essential for family or novice rider events, for more experienced riders we venture out every day without support cars or food stops, so its not really clear why this would be so essential on an organised ride.

I also took that the original post was looking for a way to introduce a simple form of an event with minimal expense and volunteers, and to build on this event year by year. So my suggestion was just to get the first year and possibly the second year up and running with minimal investment which could then be developed into something much larger and catering for less experienced riders in the future.

Having organised some simple events myself. its very hard to jump straight in with a full sportive event without a sponsor and a large army of helpers.
I appreciate your point of view, but if this event does evolve into a full sportive with sponsor and large army of helpers, we are starting to talk about municipal and police approvals and road closures, if not just intersection control. Then the notion of riders picking their own courses between checkpoints becomes impractical.