Old 08-16-16, 03:19 PM
kdresch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Negotiation Tips - re: Batavus Professional Bike

Thanks everyone for the suggestions public and private. I've been playing this game on both sides (buyer/seller) since the 90's and every transaction is different.

I once had a college level negotiations class and on the first day of class the prof. asked if you are at a yard sale and see a screaming deal should you negotiate, nearly every student said NO. He said "incorrect the answer is YES" as every seller has a different value of his item in his mind (he may think it's trash).

Whenever I try to nail down a price (usually on deals that require travel) it is contingent on my personal inspection. I know one private fellow who deals in automobiles who does this and then we he sees the car brings up defects for a 2nd round of negotiations that often drive the price even lower!

Also before traveling I like to have a price or even price range in mind. If you drive 150 miles you are at a disadvantage negotiating at that point. You've in the deal with the investment of a trip! A smart seller knows this.

Often folks will take less when you get to them first. I answered this Batavus ad just an hour after posting, he's 100 miles from me. But some times even if you are first and made a deal via email they may sell to someone else at a higher price. I at least try to make them feel real bad then they do this. I've been in route twice only to find a seller making a deal for a higher price as I arrived. It happens. I've stolen deals from other fellows I compete with locally by offering a higher price and the seller took it and I get there before my competitor.

Since the Batavus ad is still up with a possible completed sale, and all the emails the guys getting you'd think he'd want to take it down. I'm always polite and respond to anyone asking about any item I sell even if I haven't got the ad down yet.

In my eyes the Batavus guy is a novice and probably doesn't know what a spam folder is, as it's overflowing with emails about his bike. From his images and write up he is clueless about what he even has. Looks like Campy components to me.

Again, each deal is different and I feel pretty good about my tactics which vary on each case. I'm always open to suggestions to learn from and appreciate everyone's comment. Others can learn from this back and forth too!

Also, on the other side I've had folks come over to look at a bike and I was prepared to give them a deal but they don't even suggest a lower price. Often when this happens I throw in a bunch of accessories I pulled off bikes I sell. Water bottle holders, bottles, packs, frame pumps etc.

Happy hunting and negotiations! We are all in this game of life together.

Originally Posted by francophile
Hey, here's a chance to learn!

First mistake: Never make an offer before seeing the bike. Instant turnoff for the seller, instant reason to ignore your email.

Second mistake: Making a low offer on a bike that's already absurdly cheap. Never assume a low price means someone doesn't know what they have.

Third mistake: Making multiple offers via email; makes you sound desperate and sends the message that the bike is probably more valuable than the list.

Fourth mistake: Don't be the person who flags a post out of butthurt. If this person is new to Craigslist, they may not know they need to remove it.