Old 08-16-16, 08:05 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
My Raleigh experience shows there definitely is some variability in attention to brazing - and other things. That said, you'd have to kill me to take mine, as some of them are the best-finished, and most enjoyable rides I have. Here are my data points - chronological by period of ownership:

1978 Super Course - got it when I started college. I didn't pay any attention to brazing quality back then, but I didn't notice any flaws. It was a great handling bike that I could ride fast and ride all day. Stolen in 1981.
1974 Superbe - was my uncle's. Sloppy brazing. Heavy. Ponderous.
1975 Grand Prix - not great finishing, but nothing glaringly wrong. It didn't ride like I remember the Super Course riding. Sold it on CL.
1978 Super Course - it didn't seem to have the magic of the original. Maybe it was me. There was a bit of sloppy brazing on it. Gifted to a rider in my cycling club.
1970 Raleigh Professional. The paint had long since been toast when I got it, but I had this sanded down to bare metal, and it was very carefully made. No globs, no sloppy filing, nicely thinned lugs, very well mitered bottom bracket. It has a very comfortable, relaxed feel on the road.
1976 Raleigh Team Professional. Paint was toast before it came to me too. Also had this down to bare metal. It was made even better than the 1970 Professional (of course I would expect this from SDBU). This bike is about as responsive as any steel bike ever (about equal to the 2000 Bob Jackson)
1974 Raleigh Competition. The overall finishing is less refined than on the Professional and Team Pro, but no glaring flaws. Haven't ridden it because the steerer threading was stripped at the top. Hoping to ride it by next year.
1974 Grand Sports. Sloppy brazing and a tiny void. The factory also neglected to stamp it with a serial number. The paint and chrome are still remarkably good though. The ride was pretty good on it's test journey, but I need to service the BB.
1949 Clubman. Nicely finished. Not yet built up.

Raleighs were ubiquitous. Icons. Schwinns get a nod over them for consistency of finish, durable paint and chrome, but I'd take a Raleigh any day over a Schwinn because of superior design for lightweights. I admit to never having ridden a top of the line Italian or French bicycle from the 70's, but setting aside personal preferences for styling, I can't imagine the Ilkeston machine comparing unfavorably against the very best.

If anyone has had enough of their 21-1/2" or 22-1/2" mid 70's International (preferably copper), drop me a line.

Last edited by USAZorro; 08-16-16 at 08:49 PM. Reason: stem to steerer