View Single Post
Old 08-19-16, 08:04 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Reading the comments of @aaronmcd and @tetonrider above makes me wonder what other people feel during the evolution of TT intervals? I am new to racing (just finished 1st year), only race TTs and have been moderately successful at it. Of course being more-than-moderately successful is the goal, so I'm curious about all aspects of it, including what goes through people's heads during training (and race) efforts.

For me, I would not describe a 20 min 105% effort as painful and, unless I'm having a bad day, two of them is zero problem. (I work with a coach & can't recall ever doing more than 2, although I occasionally get assigned longer TT intervals- 30, 40 or rarely 60-70 min, obviously the longer ones are ridden at threshold not above.)

My description of a 2 x 20 @ 105% workout would go something like:
Interval 1: First 8 min feel good, somewhere around the 8 min mark I start to think things like "only 12 min left," then the rest of it requires concentration to stay on the power numbers, I notice my legs and they feel tired but I know I can finish it, last 3 min no problem to pour it on as needed to make the target.

Interval 2: Takes concentration right from the very beginning, I notice my legs, my breathing etc right away and the whole interval is like that, I have to consciously stay on the pedals all through the pedal stroke, take note of my resp pattern & adjust effort continuously, my legs feel tired but not really painful. But without concentration/focus, I'd find myself 10-15% under target. I'll have something left in the tank for a final 1-2 min push if necessary but it will be really hard & I know my best chance of making the power target on the 2nd is to not get behind.

For much of the first interval, the effort is automatic. Towards the end of the first & for all of the second interval, the effort is deliberate.

I would not describe a 105% effort as painful as much as I'd call it difficult. But I think I don't take it to the extent of being painful and that's got to be where the difference lies between being a moderately successful time trialist and a successful time trialist. Probably my physical ability is already there, I just have to figure out how to cross that line mentally, to take it up a notch until its painful.

So I'm curious as to how other people feel doing these types of intervals- races or workouts.