View Single Post
Old 08-19-16, 08:54 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
well, 20min @ 105% is roughly what your 20min max should be, no? I'd think that should be painful unless you used a something different than 20min power * .95 for calculating ftp. It sounds like you guys used a different way to determine that stuff though.
Well I guess that I don't really consider 60 min at 100% to be painful exactly. Sometimes my HR data suggests that I could not do more, sometimes it suggests I could have maybe gone a little harder. When I read people's descriptions of riding an FTP test, it always seems to me that they are exaggerating the misery of it, expect for the part about feeling like you might vomit at the end, that I can completely relate to. So maybe I guess based on perception of effort that my FTP is set conservatively but based on HR data it does not seem to be. And it's not like we don't have a lot of data at this point, I probably have 7 or 8 60min 100% TT intervals in the past 10ish months, between training efforts and races.

So I wonder if I'm an outlier in my perception of it vs just a newby doing it wrong.