View Single Post
Old 08-19-16, 10:16 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Do you use FTP as based off one of your full 1hr efforts? If that's the case I could see that being significantly lower than a 20min max test, which might explain why 105% doesn't make you want to die.

I don't think I could concentrate hard enough to do 1hr full-gas. This kills the tkp.
Well I don't personally set my FTP. Originally it was set off of a 40 min test which even brand new to training wasn't that big of a deal to me. The decision to ask me to ride a 40 min test was not arbitrary, it was based off my coach (who was new to me then) reviewing old data and deciding that was the most appropriate duration. He kind of wanted to start with a 1 hour test but he was a little reluctant, I think was afraid I would not be able to execute it well due to inexperience.

Since then, he is I'm sure basing numbers off the entirety of the data set & race efforts. I did four 40k TTs from March-June last year, so the 1 hour data is there. It's hard for me to do a training effort 60 min at 100%, I tend to slip into the 95-97% range without the race motivation.

I have always had the ability to hold a power number for a really long time, even without being trained to those types of efforts. So maybe it's just physiology.