Old 08-19-16, 10:52 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Over what time is max power rated?

I don't follow power much, but as Puppy is remote and on a borrowed team bike - with power I became interested and sprung for the Premier Strava account (again). The 2014 weight was 135# age late 15 on his PT and current weight is 155# age 18 on borrowed bike. Strava set at 150# so not sure if both use that 150# number or the number at the time. I don't really trust the spike, but not sure it is wrong either. This was at the end of a very easy ride, while the 2014 was in the middle of a very hard one. Plan is to get into track so I *think* that short range power may matter more than the Brandon like 400W TT power.
what power meter?

Originally Posted by Doge
If someone says "My Max power is 1,000W." What are they saying? That they hit that, held it for 5 sec or what?

What software also records weight at the time?
basically, when people state their max power they are referencing whatever sounds best -- a power spike in a ride, or a number they hit fresh, in a parking lot. it's often a sample that included some botched data, like a cadence spike that was timed in a weird way.

this is an issue for pretty much all power meters; some are worse than others, particularly ones that estimate (power tap) or calculate (any using an accelerometer instead of a magnet) cadence. 1 data sample is a problem for every meter, though.

5" max power is more interesting, but with wireless meters it, too, can be WAY off. i've explained this--earlier in this thread.