Old 08-24-16, 09:16 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iTrek
Yesterday while MTBing my wife broke ankle. No gnarly MTB stories, she had made it through the technical stuff and was doing great and then had a tip-over in sand. They say it was a clean break, but broke both sides.

I know in the past I've read some have had ankle surgery, how long is typical recovery until back on bike? As she typically rides 4-6 days a week she is really BUMMED by this.

Just a concerned husband trying to encourage his wife.
If it required screws and surgery, expect crutches for 12 weeks and no bike for 6 months. I broke my femur a few years ago and that was the deal.

12 weeks on crutches may have been due to my femur break being at a right angle to load bearing, I snapped the head off that sucker. I believe I was instructed to put no weight on it for the first 6 weeks and 25% weight for the remaining 6.

The 6 months was because the bone could not take another shock until then, and bike riding posed too high a risk of said shock. This was according to the orthopedic surgeon. I believe I began doing some light, slow road riding after the fourth month, IIRC. But, I imagine MTB would be much more risky. I really did not start logging real miles again until after the 6th month, as he instructed. It basically cost me a full season.

What I did instead was a lot of hiking. Even while on crutches, I walked at least 5 miles a day.