Old 08-25-16, 12:06 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Sunday..... got buzzed by a mom mobile........ passed by someone about 1 1/2 feet at the most away from me. Ordinarily this doesn't happen and I try and let things not bother me when I'm riding but this was worse than usual - bad enough for me to decide to call the police.
I was crossing a funny shaped but busy off-set intersection (with a bus stopped and blocking my view) the other day. Someone... in a parked car, no less... saw my somewhat precarious situation and leaned heavily on the cars horn.

I have to admit... that I did brace for contact. Even hurt my neck slightly from a pulled muscle. It did scare me!

But I also saw the humor in the event. I sorta laughed or maybe chuckled inside a bit... not a out loud laugh or anything. And then... I decided that whoever (it could have been a child)... or for whatever reason the horn was blasted (maybe I wasn't a target)... I decided I enjoyed the rush.

Yes. I decided... it was all OK.

People can tend to forget that fear... or the reactions to fear... can to some extent be a choice. I almost always (I am only human) have chosen to enjoy the adrenalin rush that comes with a fright. But disregard the anger part of the fight-or-flight response. It is after all... kind'a fun to be reminded that I am alive.

The bad thing about yelling at, gesturing to, lecturing, or even calling the police on the people we share our roads and ride with is.... it spoils our own enjoyment. And feeds the thought processes that see's these risks are tangible realities.

The reality of being injured while cycling may be set in stone. If so... your reaction is somewhat meaningless in terms of safety. But your reaction does directly effect your own enjoyment. If you feed your fears.... you'll ruin your rides.