Old 08-25-16, 01:01 PM
CoRide59

Bikes: 1992 De Rosa SLX, 1992 Specialized Epic, Late 60's Bottecchia Proffessional, 1998 Stumpjumper M2, 1992 Stumpjumper M2 (in a box)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 here Dave. I have no issues with the OP calling the police at all. His decision all the way and a valid one. But this is the first time I've ever heard anyone else articulate the attitude I've usually had when riding, driving, whatever. I guess I'm an adrenaline junky or something and it could be part of why I wake up in the morning with numerous pains, but I tend to laugh and enjoy the close calls. Almost feels sick to type it out but there ya go. And if in this situation I looked and realized it was a joke aimed at me I'd have smiled and laughed out loud.

OK, I'm weird, I get it... but really, its (life) all about having a good time.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I was crossing a funny shaped but busy off-set intersection (with a bus stopped and blocking my view) the other day. Someone... in a parked car, no less... saw my somewhat precarious situation and leaned heavily on the cars horn.

I have to admit... that I did brace for contact. Even hurt my neck slightly from a pulled muscle. It did scare me!

But I also saw the humor in the event. I sorta laughed or maybe chuckled inside a bit... not a out loud laugh or anything. And then... I decided that whoever (it could have been a child)... or for whatever reason the horn was blasted (maybe I wasn't a target)... I decided I enjoyed the rush.

Yes. I decided... it was all OK.

People can tend to forget that fear... or the reactions to fear... can to some extent be a choice. I almost always (I am only human) have chosen to enjoy the adrenalin rush that comes with a fright. But disregard the anger part of the fight-or-flight response. It is after all... kind'a fun to be reminded that I am alive.

The bad thing about yelling at, gesturing to, lecturing, or even calling the police on the people we share our roads and ride with is.... it spoils our own enjoyment. And feeds the thought processes that see's these risks are tangible realities.

The reality of being injured while cycling may be set in stone. If so... your reaction is somewhat meaningless in terms of safety. But your reaction does directly effect your own enjoyment. If you feed your fears.... you'll ruin your rides.