Thread: My geek thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-16, 04:34 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Final update on my computer saga: turns out Apple won't fix it, because they can't. Because it's old enough to be classified as a "vintage" model, they don't have parts anymore. Apparently the communication between whatever department that runs Tech Support and the Apple Store isn't great, because apparently the advisor I spoke to was not aware of this policy (presumably she wouldn't have promised a free fix if she was). So I'm back to deciding between a DIY logic board replacement, or just a new computer. I went with the new computer. 12" retina MacBook is on its way, should get here Monday. Not the worst outcome ever. The biggest stress was choosing the model - would the base processor be enough, or should I upgrade to the top-level for an extra $225 (hell yeah education pricing saving me $75 on that option)? Ultimately I swallowed the prideful part of me that wants to think I'm a power user and went with the slow one. It'll still be way faster than my MBP, which is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Civ 6 comes out in October.
I can't keep up with this stuff, heh. Shows you how much a "gamer" I am these days. I never had it as my top priority with my limited, and so I mostly play games on my iphone/ipad and a few old favorites on the laptop. Which is why I think I'll be fine with the limited performance of the new machine going forward. I like Civ V, and it should run just fine on the new machine from what I can tell.