Old 08-28-16, 07:35 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I serve on a board with a number of doctors. The quite consistent recommendation from them is generally:

1) Wait as long as possible before surgery. There are risks to the surgery and while most turn out very well not all do. The prosthesis and bone connection don't last forever and a second surgery isn't always possible. Synvast works well for some people to prolong time before surgery. Personally I prefer Naproxen over Meloxicam for my knees but I think some people have GI problems from Naproxen. I'm currently doing Naproxen daily for a week and then taking a week off (I really dislike using any meds).

2) Avoid high impact sports like running, football, racquetball, etc.

3) Stay in good health. An hour per day of moderate physical activity and healthy diet. This both for immediate term and more importantly to aid in a good outcome from surgery and a faster and less painful recovery.

Every person is different though. My brother had a knee replacement in 1972 that served him 31 years and the second is still doing well. He's 72 and plays tennis once or twice every week (and has most of his life).

I hope whatever you do turns out well for you.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 08-28-16 at 07:42 AM.