View Single Post
Old 08-28-16, 05:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked 6,403 Times in 3,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl
Sorry, it's unfortunately a bit buried in the garage atm (we're redecorating so a lot got shoved in there and I already have 3 bikes in the house) but I'll make sure I get some pics up when I get it out.

I may be slightly off on the 50's, but I'd be very interested to see if anyone could date it. I know it cost him £12 when he bought it.

Thanks for the advice so far, was sorta what I was leaning towards. The brakes are the bit that worries me the most tbh. I've grown used to modern v-brakes and discs, but I don't want to change components unless it's like for like. Will modern pads help with the performance of old brakes?
Short answer, probably. IMHO the key thing here is to realize that most any concerns you have can be mitigated one way or another. You may have to adjust your expectations in some cases, but there is usually a solution to any problem that you have or may arise. The depth of knowledge and help here is vast. You can do anything you want to with the correct amount of time, patience and of course $$$. All this being said, take a deep breath, keep asking questions and proceed with caution, most of all hang on to what you've got and make the most of it.