Old 08-30-16, 12:40 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Sprinters at the track do a long warmup and then maybe 3 sprints with 10 to 15 minutes rest between sprints. But those 3 efforts are gonzo to the max sprints that are worked in concert with a weight lifting program such that the focus of the force far exceeds typical road sprinting at the end of a crit or road race. And of course, that is not taking anything away from how hard it is to race a crit and sprint at the end for a win. In track sprinting, one is sprinting to win right from the start. So there is nothing measured in track sprinting. It is full on.
Very true. Last year I decided because of my surgery to give match sprints a go. It verified what I had figured out from my 2k and Team Sprint training in the past...three full on violent efforts are really wearing. Same was true this year when we were doing Team Pursuit practice. By the third effort the legs are going or gone.

With that the value that the various software puts on these efforts is, in my opinion, well below the actual impact. It's one of the many holes that make training to a particular metric like CTL a pretty dicey proposition.